What Happens After You Get a Fiancé Visa? A Comprehensive Guide

Congratulations on securing your fiancé visa! You’ve successfully navigated the initial paperwork, and now you’re eager to begin your new life with your partner in the United States. But what happens after you get your fiancé visa? In this article, we’ll explore the steps to follow after your visa approval, including entering the US, getting married, adjusting your status, and obtaining your green card.

Entering the United States

Once your fiancé visa is approved, you have six months to enter the United States. Upon arrival, you’ll be required to present your passport with the fiancé visa at the port of entry. An immigration officer will ask questions to verify your relationship and confirm that you are entering the country for the purpose of getting married. If everything is in order, you’ll be admitted to the United States with a temporary status valid for 90 days.

Getting Married Within 90 Days

Under the terms of your fiancé visa, you are required to marry your US citizen partner within 90 days of entering the country. It’s essential to plan and execute your wedding within this time frame to avoid violating the conditions of your visa. Once you’re married, you’ll need to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate, which is a crucial document for the next steps in the process.

Applying for Adjustment of Status

After your wedding, you’ll need to apply for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) to become a permanent resident (i.e., obtain a green card). To do this, you’ll need to file Form I-485 with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Along with your application, you’ll need to submit several supporting documents, such as:

  • A certified copy of your marriage certificate
  • A copy of your foreign passport with the fiancé visa
  • Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) from your US citizen spouse
  • Form I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record)
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • Any other required documents based on your specific circumstances

Attending Your Green Card Interview

After submitting your AOS application, you’ll be scheduled for a green card interview at a local USCIS office. Both you and your spouse must attend this interview. During the interview, an immigration officer will ask questions to confirm the legitimacy of your marriage and evaluate your eligibility for a green card. To prepare for this interview, gather evidence of your relationship and ensure that you are familiar with the details of your spouse’s background and daily life.

Receiving Your Green Card

If your AOS application is approved, you’ll receive a conditional green card, valid for two years. This card grants you the same rights as other permanent residents, including the ability to live and work in the United States. However, because your marriage is less than two years old, your permanent residency is considered “conditional.”

Removing Conditions on Your Green Card

Within 90 days before your conditional green card expires, you and your spouse must file Form I-751 to remove the conditions on your permanent residency. You’ll need to provide evidence that your marriage is still ongoing and genuine. Once the conditions are removed, you’ll receive a 10-year green card, signifying your unconditional permanent residency.

Final thoughts

Navigating the post-approval process for your fiancé visa can seem daunting, but by understanding and following the outlined steps, you can make the journey a smooth one. From entering the United States and getting married within the 90-day window, to adjusting your status and obtaining your green card, these steps will help you establish a strong foundation for a successful marriage and life in the United States. Remember to stay organized, keep track of important deadlines, and seek legal advice if needed. With dedication and commitment, you and your spouse will be well on your way to creating a happy, thriving life together in the United States.